Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Herbal Remedy Kit {for the cold and flu}

Here are some of the things I have in my herbal kit for helping my family during the cold and flu season.
I want to make a disclaimer: herbs are medicine, though natural.
Talk to your doctor before starting a herbal remedy.


Click on the links in this post to read the health benifits of the herbs in each remedy I have in my kit.


Here are a few things I have in my cold and flu season kit:

A variety of herbal teas by
Gypsy Cold Care
Echinacea Plus
Throat Coat
Breathe Easy

Warm Herbal drink
(has vitamin C, zinc and echinacea)

Chest rubs
Vicks and a Little Colds Baby Rub

Tinctures by
 Herb Pharm
Children's Echinacea tincture
Adult Echinacea tincture
(I learned these are to be used once you are sick and only for 1 or 2 weeks max.)

Oscillococcinum
For when the kiddos are feeling rundown or have
body aches, chills and fever

Chestal cough syrup

Homemade Elderberry Syrup {recipe tutorial}
keep in the refrigerator

You can read here about the health benefits of elderberries

Lavender oil

A can of Echinacea and roots to make a decotion or tea: blend;
 we drink it at the first signs of colds and flu symptoms.
Contains: Organic Echinacea purpurea root, Pau d' Arco, organic Dandelion root (raw and roasted), Sarsaparilla root, organic Cinnamon bark, organic Ginger root, organic Burdock root, Sassafras ...
You can read more at Mountain Rose Herbs

Herbmentor.com is also a great resource.

Still reading.....always more to learn!




I have 2 kiddos with a cold.....my youngest has to use her Nebby from time to time.
So while I love my herbal teas,tinctures and syrups, there is still a need for western medicine.
I do use Tylenol and Motrin at times and my daughter needs her Nebulizter.

We try to prevent colds and flu by washing our hands after using the bathroom and after we come home from being out. Also before meals and cooking!
We do not use antibacterial soaps.....just regular soap and water!

We also try to get plenty of rest!

What do you do have in your Cold and Flu kit?

Peace and Love,
Georgiann

2 comments:

  1. I love this! we do a lot of the same things but I love the Hylands cold + C tabs. I think that the homeopathy for colds is so complicated I can never figure out which single remedy to use so I just the combination. I take it myself too even though it's for kids. Also check out "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy" it's a great book. For colds you combine 10 drops lavender, 10 drops TTO, 10 drops eucalyptus. YOu can then add that mixture to EVOO and use it as a massage oil for chest colds or to add to baths. It smells about 100X better than vicks and works great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I love your idea!

    I do have a load of other oils {about 11 or so}, I don't use them as much as I sould/could.

    I do have a book called The complete Book of Essential Oils. I will have to check out the book you mentioned.

    I make my own face scrub if you'd like to read one of my back posts?

    http://ourfruitfulharvest.blogspot.com/2010/01/homemade-face-scrub.html#comments

    Thanks for stopping by,I hope to see you again soon?!

    Peace,Love and Blessings,
    Georgiann

    ReplyDelete

I read all my comments and love to know people are out there....I enjoy making new blog friends!
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!